Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!


I admit, Halloween is not my favorite holiday. I’m just not creative when it comes to thinking of costumes and dressing up. However, I do have some great Halloween memories and on Halloween I always think of my Grandma B. Not because she is scary (she isn’t, of course!) but because my Grandma always held the best Halloween parties throughout most of my life. She really decked out her house in wonderful Halloween style, and the most fun part was that she and my Grandpa ALWAYS dressed up! We’d play games like “Laugh Witch Laugh” which gave us lots of great laughs. Never heard of it? It’s just “Grunt Piggy Grunt” changed for Halloween. Still never heard of it? Well, it involves being blindfolded, and sitting on people’s laps and… well the description just doesn’t come out right! Anyway, I always complained about dressing up, but it was always fun to see what my extended family came up with for costumes. One of my favorites when I was a kid was when my Aunt Barbara and Uncle Mark dressed up as a couple but my aunt was the husband and my uncle was the wife. I will say that my Aunt Barbara is a much better looking woman than my Uncle Mark was! And then as we all grew up and my siblings and cousins had their own children, it made it even more fun to see these adorable kids in their costumes. So I am thankful to my Grandma B every Halloween for all these memories she created for our family. I hope that she still smiles when thinking of them too. And that everyone reading this has a a very happy Halloween, whether you are trick-or-treating, handing out candy, helping your kids dress up, or skipping it altogether and going out to dinner (like me)!

3 comments:

Robert said...

Happy Halloween Christina!
Angela had a party yesterday and Austin invited Jordan. I got to see Grandma and Grandpa dressed up in costume. It brought back the memories. Especially grunt piggy grunt. At Grandma's B-day celebration this year Babara had old videos and we watched some of the old Halloween Parties etc. I got to see Steve dressed up in a diaper. I think he is on the list for all time best costumes.

I love you and wish you the best of today and the holidays to come.

KEEP SMILING;)

Christina B. said...

Oh, yeah!! I forgot about Uncle Steve wearing the diaper! That is very funny. I might have to get Barbara to play the videos again at Christmas!

I wish I could have seen all my nephews and nieces dressed up. Love you!

Unknown said...

Goodie! I am so excited you have a blog! Thanks for the comment on mine... Now I can stalk yours... hee hee