Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy Birthday to my bestest littlest sister!



Lisa,

In September 1979 I started kindergarten and turned five. But what stands out more than anything during that time is how excited I was to have a new sister. I had decided that you would be a girl and that your name would be Alisa. I couldn't wait for you to come to our family! The day you were born I stayed at our neighbor's house, the Ormes'. When Mom called to say that I had a new sister (I knew it!!) I was estatic when she told me that she also named you my favorite name, Alisa! Wow! As you can guess, I heard wrong. :) Lisa's a much better name for you anyway, I just didn't realize it yet!

You are my only sibling that I remember being born. I remember going with Dad to pick you up from the hospital. I was fascinated with your long fingers! When you were a baby I had the chance to hold you and feed you once in a while and that was a great privilege to me. You were such a beautiful and sweet girl. You brought so much sunshine to our house. I remember when you would wake up from naps Mom would be worried about us waking you, and you always, always woke up smiling. I had so much fun being your older sister. I always felt so much love from you. One day, I think I was in 4th grade, I came home from school crying because my best friend Erin and I had been in a big fight. You asked me why I was sad, and as I told you, still crying, you hugged me and were crying too. I couldn't believe my little sister cared so much about me having a bad day!

Through most of my teen years, we shared a room. I didn't spend much time thinking about how it was for you (sorry!) but you were a great roommate for me. I had fun sharing a room with you and you never complained about my New Kids on the Block posters or the music I listened to every night. You were so easy to share with that I wonder looking back how many times I drove you crazy that you never said anything about!

When I moved away for school, I remember feeling that you were so proud of me and that meant a lot to me. During my really lame "I'm too cool for everything now that I'm an 18 year-old college student" phase, I had no idea how sucky this attitude would be for an adoring 13 year-old sister. I wish I could rewind time and that I would have stayed closer to you during those years. I just want you to know that I have always loved you very much even when I have not been good at showing it.

It was such an amazing experience when you became a mom. I loved seeing you with Carolyn and how much happiness it brought you to see her with your family. You brought our family closer by your love of sharing your beautiful daughter with us. I have never seen you happier than when you were introducing your each of your new children to us.

The picture above is from when you and Bella visited me in Boston. It was so great to have you here and to show you around the city. I'm glad we had that chance to spend some time together, and that it also led to us running a marathon together two years later. That was an awesome experience for me that I will never forget.



I'm so glad that you are my sister and I hope that you have a wonderful birthday!

Love you!

Christina

PS- We must have some elephants to celebrate this special day also!


2 comments:

Lisa B Nell said...

Sure! Make me cry on my birthday! :) That was sweet and very touching. Daniel was worried I was upset... LOL. Thank you for being such a wonderful bestest big sister. :) I love you!

Joy & Casey said...

Hi woman! SO fun to see your life!! You look happy and good. You ran a marathon??? Holy cow! Way to go! I run a marathon around my kids every day but that's the best I will ever do! :)